Contour+ Firmware Upgrade
Firmware Version: 1.35 (09/26/2012)
Firmware v1.35 includes the following improvements:
- Added the ability to start and stop recording via Bluetooth
- Increased Bluetooth view finder framerate
- Improved Bluetooth connection and reconnection process, including auto-reconnect
- Time can now be set manually in Storyteller
- Support for UTC Time Zone Offset for GPS fixes
- Support for Apple USB 3.0
Note: If you use the Contour Connect app to pair with your camera over Bluetooth, you need to update the mobile app in order to make full use of this firmware version.
- 1.31: (Release Notes)
Please read through the instructions carefully to familiarize yourself with new features and how to download and install the new firmware on your Contour+.
NOTE: This firmware update is only for the Contour+. If you have the ContourHD or ContourGPS, please DO NOT download this update.
Installation using Storyteller
Follow these steps to update your firmware using Storyteller: (What if I don't use Storyteller?)
- 1. Ensure your battery is fully charged.
- 2. Connect your camera to your computer.
- 3. Make sure you microSD card is correctly formatted. For instructions on how to format a microSD card for use in the Contour+ camera, see this article.
- 4. Run Storyteller 3.06 (or later).
- 5. When prompted to upgrade the Firmware, select 'Ok' to copy it to your camera.
- 6. When the copy is completed, properly unmount the camera from your computer.
- 7. Once unmounted, unplug the camera from your computer. First press and hold down the Bluetooth button. Keep the Bluetooth button held down while you press and release the power button. Keep holding the Bluettoh button down. You will hear a beep and then the Memory and Battery LEDs on the rear of the camera will flash twice. These LEDs will then alternately flash red, at this point you can let the Bluetooth button go (this generally takes no more than 30 seconds, but for some versions may take 5 minutes or more). When the Memory and Battery LEDs stop flashing, the Firmware update is complete. At this point the camera will be off. IMPORTANT: interrupting the update process by removing the battery while the lights are still flashing can permanently damage your camera!
- 8. Optional: Connect the camera to your computer with the USB cable and delete the contour+.bin file from the camera's SD card to free up storage space.
Installation without Storyteller
If you cannot connect your Contour+ camera to Storyteller, follow the steps below to manually update the firmware:
- 1. Download the firmware to the desktop.
- 2. Plug the Contour+ camera into the computer using a USB cable. Do NOT turn it on. Once connected, the Contour+ camera will appear as an external USB device on your computer.
- 3. Make sure your microSD card is correctly formatted.
- 4. Open a computer file system window and navigate to the camera, now mounted as an external device on your computer.
- 5. Copy the firmware file from your desktop to the root level of the camera’s file system.
- 6. When the copy is completed, properly unmount the camera from your computer. Once unmounted, unplug the camera from your computer.
- 7. Now proceed from step #7, above.